Sunday, December 20, 2009

'Tis better to re-gift than receive.


I'm not gonna lie, I have re-gifted a time or two. I'm not ashamed. We're in a recession, and I'm a stay-at-home mom on a budget. It's part of my "job" to help our family cut costs where we can. So, if I receive a gift that I cannot use, I try and find a new home for it. Recently, the whistle was blown on my attempt to stick to our ever-growing Christmas list which is already over-budget.

Her Highness carried a nice package to school on the day of her class Christmas party for her super sweet first grade teacher. When I picked her up from school that day, I learned that my cover had been blown.

"Did your teacher like her present?" I asked, as Her Highness bounced into the van.
Excitedly she replied, "Oh, YES! And when she opened it I told her that somebody gave it to my Mommy when she had the baby, but we really wanted HER to have it instead!"
I nearly rear ended the mini-van ahead of me, as I squealed, "You did not!!" Realizing she had committed a social crime, Her Highness stammered back, "What? Why shouldn't I have told her that?"

Her bottom lip poked out as I explained why we weren't supposed to tell the origin of gifts, especially those that are re-gifted. She then defended herself, "But Momma. She doesn't care! All she said to me after I told her was, 'Oh, I love you!' then she laughed and hugged me!"

Embarrassed, I called Bert to inform him of our social mishap. We both laughed, extremely hard, then agreed that Her Highness probably thought re-gifting was more special than buying something new because she would never give away something that was new to her. At least not before she had a chance to use it first.

I'm sure I was the bud of the joke in the teacher's lounge that afternoon.
I asked my Mother that evening if any of her students had ever openly admitted to re-gifting. Her response was simply, "Honey, they didn't have to."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

several of the presents under my Christmas tree are totally regifted things! my mom used to keep a place in her dresser just for the things that she had been given that she thought she could reuse for gifts in the future! good times...

Voice of Reason said...

You have never been the bud of the joke... only the butt.

McKinney Madness said...

Absolutely hilarious!!! Girl, I'm not afraid to admit I re-gift. Dave Ramsey would be so proud of you! HAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

Lindy said...

My mom is a teacher and she always kept a box full of things that were given to her.... so what do you think my teachers received?! ha!

Dana said...

LOL, I'm so glad to have found you on here. It was nice to know I wasn't the only one that screwed up the teacher gift thing.