Monday, May 3, 2010

Her Highness... Their First True Love


I used to worry about The Storm growing up in such a hostile environment. Too much testosterone could only mean bad things for their marriages down the road. I once assumed that the best husbands were the ones who came from families where they were the only brother with a slew of sisters. Those men had to learn how to deal with women, and their feelings, from a very young age, so surely they would grow up and become excellent husbands. The more I've gotten to know some of these types of husbands, the more I've realized that's not always the case.

And as I've gotten to know my own children better, I've realized that Her Highness being out numbered 4:1 isn't going to matter either. She keeps those boys in line and has forced all of them to learn a thing or two (or million) about girls and how they play. The unwritten rules of women are already being taught, and she's only six years old.

The Storm loves Her Highness dearly, and are very happy to oblige most of her requests for hugs and attention. The Storm has already learned many lessons concerning the complexity of women. Recently, I overheard the following conversation:
Her Highness: If you're not gonna play right then you can just get outta my room NOW.
Thunder: But, I thought YOU wanted Batman to save your Barbies from all the bad guys??!
Her Highness, sighing loudly: That was YESTERDAY.

One morning, as Her Highness walked into the living room ready for school in a new outfit, Thunder looked up, momentarily from Scooby-Doo, glanced over at Her Highness and said, "Aww, you look really pretty." Hail immediately mimicked Thunder, as he typically does, then said, "But you weally do!"
Oh, melt my heart.
So, I've quit worrying about these boys and their wives someday. I just pray that they all find their perfect match and will live happily ever after. Oh, and that their spouses love ME.
I also pray that Her Highness' husband sees her just the way The Storm does, and appreciates her just as much.
Just as the saying goes, "Love doesn't make the world go 'round. Love is what makes the ride worthwhile." And, I couldn't agree more.

4 comments:

Whitney said...

Your kiddos are so precious! You're doing an awesome job! I love hearing how sweet they are to one another and the pics are great! You really should write a book!!

McKinney Madness said...

Her Highness is going to make the BEST mommy, because she has the BEST mommy to model after!!

brooke said...

I'm still good with arranging the marriages of our kids! I know exactly what you mean about girls...Caley thinks she runs the house now and has no problem teaching her bothers a thing or two. We can only pray they make a good choice for a spouse one day.

Kiera said...

Oh your boys will make great husbands and Lucy will be one in a million!! You don't have to worry about that! :) Love you all!