Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Cheap Date

Our kids have been begging to go camping. Well, I'm not the camping type. I want to pee in my own potty and sleep (what little I do) in my own bed. So, I've been a great Mom and wife and kept saying, "After tax season is over Daddy will take y'all somewhere." Until that answer wasn't cutting it anymore. "Momma!! P-L-E-A-S-E!!!" They were all crying during spring break. Since Spring Break was actually "Tail End of Winter Break" and right smack dab in the middle of tax season, we didn't get to go anywhere fun. Waaaah. So, I decided to mix the kids request with my own and call it camping. Result: Super fun. Super cheap. We all win. Kids think they've now been camping.
We bought a tent and pitched it in the backyard. Bert built a "bonfire" (charcoal grill with a log in the middle) and we invited our good friends, The Fain's. Fun fact: Maureen, or as Jack calls her "Merine" is a redhead, and all three of their children are redheaded too. So, you can just imagine the comments we get when together in public with seven redheaded children running about.

We roasted hotdogs, made smores, let the kids play in the tent with flashlights, told spooky stories, sang campfire songs, and had a blast. Then, when it was time for bed, everyone went back to their own bedrooms and slept like champs. That's my kinda camping!
Mr. Beans even joined in the fun. This is a pic of the "campfire" the kids built.
Spooky stories... Oooohhhh!
Smore hugs

3 comments:

Do you think I'm bad? said...

so much fun!!!! reminds me of when we would go camping in heflin and i always made people drive me to the house to pee and then left when everyone was going to sleep so i could sleep in a bed!!!

Lindy said...

How fun! I bet Bert told some scary stories! I love all those redheads!

Ashley @ pure and lovely said...

awesome. can't wait til ours are old enough to do such crazy things! aka jamin can take aiden into the back yard until emmy is old enough to join!