Friday, August 7, 2009

If Momma Ain't Happy...

I threw a hissy fit this morning. A full-blown, feet stompin', screaming like a banshee, hands in the air-- hissy.

I was trying to get our brood out the door for our usual Friday morning activity, which all my kids love, Friday Playgroup. I did what I normally do: dressed the boys, put their shoes on, then turned on a cartoon so they could eat their dry Cheerios while I got myself dressed and ready. Her Highness dresses herself, and usually does a much better job than I would anyway, so she was ready as well. I got everyone settled and headed towards my bathroom.

Moments after I got in there, ALL FOUR KIDS came barreling in to join me. The usual took place, Her Highness went straight to my closet to help pick something for her fashion challenged Mother to wear, Thunder and Lightning began climbing and jumping off the counter, and Hail went straight for the cabinet that contains lotions, perfumes and other bottles of toxins for him to try and ingest. I started to fuss, "Okay, guys! Go back and watch your show. You need to eat so we can leave after I get ready. OUT!"

No one even batted an eye. Thunder and Lightning were now playing hide and seek in our closet while Her Highness was screaming, "You're going to mess up all the clothes! MOM! Make them GET OUT! Momma, you're not going to wear that are you??" Hail then jumped off the counter top, and Thunder and Lightning began running full speed playing chase. I started my hissy then. "ALL OF YOU GET OUT!!! GET OUT OF HERE NOW!!" They finally left the bathroom, but just to jump on my bed. With their shoes on. Now, I'll be honest, I'm not the neatest mom in town, nor am I a germ-a-phob by any stretch of the imagination. I wish some of those traits were in me, but they're just not there. And, jumping on the bed is usually allowed. The book, Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed was written with my children in mind, I'm quite certain. But, for some reason, this morning my hormones were raging, I was tired before I even woke up, and the fact that no one was listening just really hit a nerve.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING??? ALL OF YOU, GET OFF MY BED RIGHT NOW!! RIGHT NOW!!! GET OUT OF MY ROOM!!! GET OUT!! GO WAIT BY THE DOOR AND STAND IN A LINE AND DON'T TOUCH EACH OTHER. GET OUT!!! GGGGEEEETTT OUUUUTTTT!!!!"

My throat hurt after I finished screaming. My head hurt. My feet hurt from stomping the floor. They did get out though. And walked slowly to the door, like I said, to wait for me to leave. But, just before they left the room, Her Highness turned back to roll her eyes and say,

"See Momma. THAT's why you shouldn't have had four boys."

7 comments:

Ole Miss Mom said...

Oy! She told you didn't she! Still a little upst over the impending baby boy I'm guessing?

I too get upset when everyone's in our bathroom. But our bathroom is about 2' by 6'. So it gets tight with just me and my 8 month preggers belly in it!

Do you think I'm bad? said...

sorry, but i'm laughing! :) (that's what childless aunts do!!) please please please when i come tailgate at an auburn game can we meet up?! i want to meet the storm and her highness! (and see you, of course!) :)

Dana said...

I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one that throws hissy fits. Did you know that there are some people that don't know what hissy fits are? Stinking northerners :).

Lindy said...

Ha! I love Her Highness! It is hard to imagine another in your household, and I think maybe God says that too, so you will just have to keep adding to " The Storm" ! Don't worry there are several more weather names, so you have room for a few more. ha!

Tesney said...

Classic comment by Her Highness. Love it. BTW, I have three kids at my house today (3 and under) from 7:30 a.m.-6 p.m. It is 10 a.m. and I'm losing it. HOW do you do it???

McKinney Madness said...

I love it!! I mean... I hate it for you but it's so good to hear a REAL mom talk about what honestly goes on behind closed doors. I think you make other moms feel a lot more normal!!

The Hills said...

I only have one child, one husband, and one dog, but I can't stand when I can't even go to the bathroom without ALL 3 of them coming in trying to talk to me, get me to pet them, and blowing their noses! We do have another bathroom!!! Glad to know I am not the only one who can throw a hissy fit every now and then!